Tuesday, July 21, 2015

My New Angle on things...

My new angle

Sitting in a wheelchair, you get to see everyone from a new angle, and let me tell you, that's not always good lol. Sometimes you don't want to be looking at the view right in front of you, but then it takes cranking the neck up to look at the person's face!

But that's not what "my new angle" is really about haha. My new angle is about my new perception on things. The way I see things now, and I'm thankful to write, that it's a good one!

The other day we drove upstate to see my daughter on visiting day. We got to camp grounds, and the terrain was muddy and rocky. My poor husband had to wheel me thru it all, because it was too much walking and uneven ground for my crutches or walker. And poor me had to sit around watching everyone else have fun while I was stuck in my wheelchair. But this is not a pity story...this is a positive story!

So sitting in the mud in my wheelchair, while my husband and daughter went way further down the path to practice archery, I was a),
bored out of my mind and yet b), surprisingly totally fine! It was like I was high on something. Only I wasn't. I have been totally off all pain killers aside for Tylenol now and then, since two weeks post op. And so I was thinking, "why am I so okay right now?" And then I realized, I was okay because I was done. I had been thru both my surgeries already (only one left is screw removal at 6 months), had gotten thru the worst of it, and now I am on my road to recovery! As I sat back in my chair, I thought about how much pain I was in before my PAO, and how much worse I would have felt coming up to these camp grounds with that much pain and unable to walk far distances; And I knew my anger, depression, and anxiety would have been highly present if I were back in that stage. 

Knowing that the worst is now behind me, and in a few weeks I will be able to start using that leg again, is the most peaceful feeling ever. So was I high on pain killers? No. But was I high on something? Yes. I was high on life, high on my second chance at living without a disability, and high on a beautiful gift that I am soon to receive. One that we all take for granted. Walking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment