Sunday, July 5, 2015

The other side:


Well, I made it to the other side. I'm officially a hip warrior! It's really hard to grasp what my body went thru. I mean I know I'm in a lot of pain and all, but not nearly as much as you would think being what was actually done to my body. It's been really tough, I'm not going to lie. But with the right support, meds, and attitude, you can get thru it. You just gotta keep reminding yourself that it's temporary. I had a really bad day at the hospital. I think it was day 2. I started off well that morning. I walked 30 ft with PT on crutches (day before I only got to commode and day 1 was only able to sit up at edge of bed).
It all went sour when they gave me percaset. I am very sensitive to narcotics and it took me to a really bad turn. I got really dizzy and nauseous and had a major migraine that would not let up. The pain management doctor came in while I was throwing up and told the nurse to give me a IM shot on my arm to help the headache and nausea. Well that didn't work and my arm was in more pain than my hip.
I called my husband crying. Honesty I felt like I was being tortured alive.
Thankfully the night nurse came up with raglan and benedral for me thru IV, and I was knocked out to sleep.
Long story short, chief of pain meds came in the next day and redid all my meds. He was awesome. A true savior. He told me I have extreme sensitivity to narcotics and put me on a motion sickness patch behind my ear, a pain patch on my hip, a narcotic with least effect on the stomach, and an amazing medicine for my headaches. Finally things started looking up! Also found I did way better in PT with my Mobil legs instead of walker. Probably because I had all that practice from my scope surgery two weeks prior to PAO.
I was able to walk all the way down the hall and up and down a few steps on day 3!

No comments:

Post a Comment